Saturday, February 21, 2009

Lucky Me - THINGS I HAVE WITNESSED


Throughout 40 years skiing....


  • I've skewered my hat and goggles off on a low branch - BUT NEVER HAD A STICK POKING OUT OF MY HEAD.
  • Ive worn the same long underwear skiing all 40 years - BUT NEVER HAVE WORN THE SAME OUTER WEAR FOR OVER FIFTEEN.
  • I've caught an edge and gently bumped into a tree - BUT NEVER HIT A SIGN, BOUNCED OFF AND HIT A TREE BREAKING BOTH LEGS, SEVERAL RIBS, AND PUNCTURING A LUNG.
  • I've broken fingernails by gouging my hand into hard snow (or a rock) - BUT NEVER MADE THE SNOW LOOK LIKE A CHERRY SNOWCONE BY BLEEDING PROFUSELY UPON IT.
  • I've hit a rope and dislodged the poles attached to it - BUT NEVER TWEEKED MY KNEE BY HITTING A VERY LOW ROPE LEATHALLY.
  • I've been stuck up a tree with my skiis on - BUT NEVER FLIPPED UPSIDE DOWN AND LANDED IN A TREE HEAD-DOWN NEEDING RESCUE FROM BELOW.
  • I've forgotten my ski pants and skiied in in my long underwear - BUT NEVER HAVE I LOST ALL LAYERS OF CLOTHING AND EXPOSED MY BARE BOTTOM TO ONLOOKERS.
  • I've come upon many a man relieving himself in the forest - BUT, LACKING THE EQUIPMENT, HAVE NEVER HAD OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO MYSELF.
  • I've spent a bit of $ to enjoy the lifts - BUT NEVER HAVE I HAD TO SPEND $5,000 TO BE AIRLIFTED OFF THE MOUNTAIN (Saw that today).
  • I've threatend my children that they would do more chores if they didn't ski - BUT NEVER SCREAMED THAT I "WOULD PUT THEM IN SKI SCHOOL" IF THEY DIDN'T SKI WITH ME (Heard that today).
  • I've been stuck on a cliff and had to inch my way to safety - BUT NEVER FLOWN OFF A CLIFF LANDING FLAT AND LIFELESS.
  • I've flown off a cliff landing flat and lifeless - BUT NEVER HAVE SET UP A PERSON LIKE I WAS TO FLY OFF A CLIFF.

All things considered...........I'm a lucky gal.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

haa ha. LOVE IT (:

Birrell Family said...

Clearly you have had a blessed 40 years and had many life lessons to go along with it. I don't think it ever snows without us thinking how happy the Smiths are to go skiing!

Maggie said...

Perhaps it might be time to get new underwear?

MSmith said...

NO new underwear - it's my good luck underwear - I may get hurt if I buy new.

Katie said...

I've hit a sign.

It was the SLOW sign at the bottom of a run in vail and I TOTALLY took it out. It was horrible.