Thursday, September 17, 2009

Snake Attack!


For the past few summers, we've had SNAKES. Some may say these gentle creatures are taking care of the bugs in my yard. I say they are out to kill me (repeated instances of shock-induced coma). This morning as the garage door repair man asked to see the problem with our door, I felt something on my ankle. I looked down - SNAKE!!! - I squeeled, jumped onto the guy's shoulders, and mentally noted the notching away of lifespan years as I encounter these snakes.

The garage door guy is now gone, claiming that he forgot his tools (yeah) and I'll probably sit around all day waiting for him to work up the courage to come back. These particular snakes are sneaky. They wait until I am calmly digging away in my yard, gently admiring a new flower, or relaxing by my bubbling fountain to jump out from their hiding place, rearing up unexpectedly in full length, with fangs bared.

I can't take it any longer. Last summer I decided to change my mindset and just love them for eating bugs. By the end of summer, however, I had received counsel from Jeanne to "kill them with a shovel - there are no good snakes - ya gotta be fast." As hard as it was, I switched to snake retaliation and snuffed out each one I saw. However, I soon became weary of running to fetch the shovel in time to behead them and once again resolved to put up with them.....UNTIL NOW....I am sharpening my shovel.

8 comments:

Garth said...

Sorry about the snakes :(

Unknown said...

Come on now mom... Has one ever bit you?

Anonymous said...

It's a shame Eddie isn't better at getting them. I hate snakes too mom.
Rachel

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAH! I will pay big money $10 to see the snake dance, jump and squeel. HAHAHAH!

Big Sis

MSmith said...

Yup, I think the snake that was wrapped around my ankle may have bitten me...I've been tired all day, blurred vision, very thirsty...or maybe it was a lick.

Birrell Family said...

We have his friend in our yard... about 1.5 inches diameter. Call me when you want one removed... I grew up with them and can take them to a friendlier home. Just think of all the field mice they eat :O oh my!

MSmith said...

They EAT mice?!? furry, friendly, wiggly noses, soft little ears, cute little paws

Anonymous said...

did you not see the Secret of NIMH?
of course they eat mice.

Big Sis