Thursday, April 22, 2010

Bus Driver

Parked on the north end of Palisades Drive, an empty school bus idles as I enjoy my morning run. We always give the "Hello Familiar Stranger" wave to each other during winter months as he sits behind the wheel reading his book. He's always there as I make the return loop. A mini-thought has often crossed my brain wondering why his schedule requires this park, idle, and wait.

The spot he occupies has been vacant lately, but I didn't realize it until today, when he was there again. After the wave a new thought occurred, "Isn't this a waste of fuel?" In the blizzard snowfall of my return loop I realized the purpose of his idle and wait.

He's warming that ol' bus up for the knocked-kneed little junior high kids, too cool to wear shoes, jackets, and long pants in an April snow storm.

1 comment:

greg said...

What are you doing running in a blizzard? You skiers must be nuts. The only reason I ever tried skying is because you enjoy it so much.