Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I Am Trying

I admit it, I ran screaming from the room.  Memories of junior high and high school history class flooded my brain as I recalled the fuzzy-brain syndrome of, "I can't remember this name, this battle, this location, this underlying reason for carnage, this unexplainable blood bath."

I have pledged to sit through the 4-night Civil War movie (2 hours each) with my sweetie (he loves history, battles, the names, the locations, the reasons, etc., etc., etc.) made by Ken Burns.  I have listened for years to others tell me that this is a great and moving tale and I am trying....

The effort is genuine and the third night was almost complete before I fled to the kitchen in dire need of toast.

It is being recorded by the box thingy under the TV screen so that I can regroup and take smaller bites.  It may take me three more nights to complete the next viewing.

Perhaps the gray matter is smarter and I'm learning new stuff, but I wonder if in two months I will remember the details.  My high grades in history were earned by a devotion to the report card, not the content matter.

......but........I am....trying....again....

3 comments:

Birrell Family said...

My heart aches when I learn about our history. Same thing goes for the B of M. I don't remember the details... but I feel the thankfulness of those willing to fight for the good... and that is the most important thing to know anyway and hopefully it will shape my life for the better. I understand you completely! I sure love you.

bulkleybunch said...

marci, you are so awesome! i love checking in on your blog. your perspective and sense of humor are right up my alley! thanks for the example and the laughs!! maybe casey and garth can watch the history channel together sometime, casey loves that stuff too. xoxo

denise said...

I came late to the series- I've seen episodes 2, 3, 4 and part of 5 (fell asleep on the couch after driving for 5 hours). The dates for me are only good for comparison to what else is going on in the world... but the story the loss the amazing dedication are overwhelming.