Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mourning

Today the Smith family suffered a loss. Upon the second diagnosis of my blue spruce tree, the arborist proclaimed that there was no hope. I remember my mother getting very upset about the loss of a tree and I thought she was totally overreacting. 


I would think, "What's the big deal? Just plant another tree." However, when you have babied trees along, watched their growth, and enjoyed their beauty, the loss is heartfelt.  We had a stunning display of Christmas lights on that blue spruce for several consecutive years.


There is an impact that the loss of the tree makes on the surrounding yard. First of all it's a big mess getting the tree out and hauling it off. Then, there's the replanting because of the shade lost for all shade-loving plants.


Goodbye hostas, goodbye inpatients.

It takes about 25 years for a tree to even come close to maturity. When I look at my lifespan, I realize that planting a tree will not be for me, but for future generations.


When we moved in, this lot had five trees.  We now have 35, with several lost along the way.

Coping with this loss will include chocolate, Diet Coke, and a trip to the nursery. Garth will need to get his chain hooked to ol' blue and commence yanking so the planting may begin. 

I think I'll start with the chocolate.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( Garth

Anonymous said...

I will grieve/mourn with you. I know what it is like to loose a big tree. Love, Mom

denise said...

Oh NOOOOO!

Anonymous said...

I will join you in mourning.... or at least join you in eating some chocolate :)

-Josh

Unknown said...

Awww. It must have been hard you guys. You're right: replacing a tree isn't easy. Why did you hire an arborist to check up on the tree anyway? Was there a potential hazard with the tree? Was it on the danger of falling down? If there was, then its removal could have been a lifesaver in case it did fall down on its own and hurt someone or damaged something.
Billy Quaid @ MPDT.com.au