Sunday, January 27, 2013

I'm Trying

My mom always has said, "You need to learn to like all foods,"  and "You can learn to like anything."  I'm a believer and I try.  New adventures this week included kale, mustard greens, and once again, brussel sprouts.  The mustard greens are still in the frig, hidden behind the tortillas and leftover soup.  The kale was surprisingly good, kinda like Swiss chard, but with more texture.

Having studied the chemical attributes of cruciferous vegetables, I have learned that leaving the lid off as you cook these delicacies will result in a more subtle flavor at serve time.  However, your house will smell like a wad of used baby diapers.

Undaunted, I embarked upon the mission to cook up a batch of brussel sprouts that would prove my mother right.  I followed all the instructions, didn't over or under cook them, left the lid off, and found a new recipe that included Italian dressing and Parmesan cheese - YUM.

I was successful in eating 3 of the 6 little sprouts before getting the dry heaves.  I'm still learning....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you forgot the saying " If it doesn't taste4 good, don't eat it."
mom

MSmith said...

That's not what you taught me. I think it was, "Shut your mouth and eat it," which the three Laird kids thought hysterically funny cause you can't shut your mouth and eat it. :)