Blogging is a good thing - It keeps us connected - A person can add more detail than in texting and more depth than in Facebook.
Today's observations while visiting our beautiful mountains:
- A 50-ish lady, giddy with excitement and exhaustion, exclaimed to me as we were using the restroom that she and her husband had just finished their first-ever ski lesson. CONGRATULATIONS!
- A young girl in front of us on the lift was wearing a ski outfit from the 80's, complete with fanny pack. Made us smile.
- We noted the signs and posters celebrating Alta's 75th year. Please, don't change this resort....
- The drinking fountains are not designed for helmet wearers. I wear a helmet purely for fashion. I've never once in 43 YEARS of skiing bonked my head.
- We noted that the "cat" tree had acquired a mouse. This is a tree stump at the top of Supreme Lift that looks just like a cat crouching on its back feet, playing with its paws up. Someone had hiked all the way up and strung a computer mouse over one paw.
- A liftee that rode up with us said that he'd worked for four years at Alta, both summer and winter. He paused and then commented that he didn't know if that was lucky or stupid.
- New mountain fashion shows up, but equal quantities from past decades dot the mountainside.
- Little kids squeal with delight, but so do grownups. Where else can you hear adults shout with the sheer joy of movement, breath, exhilaration, and being?
- Al's has the best hot cocoa, with refills.
- We are not Utah locals, but Utah natives, as told to us by a New Yorker that lives here 5 months of the year just to ski.