Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Toxic Chops

The proper procedure for handing meat in our foods lab is to sanitize all surfaces that have come in contact with meat.  The steps are: rinse, wash with soapy water, rinse, spray with sanitizing spray (1 tsp. bleach in 1 qt. water), rinse.  This is taught with great enthusiasm and accuracy.  Shocking case studies are included for drama and impact.

Fast forward to the gray matter hard at work.

Student:  "I'm a little unclear on the sanitizing procedure.  I just wanna make sure that this is the stuff I spray (indicating the sanitizing solution in a clearly labeled spray bottle)."

TA:  "Yes, that is the sanitizing solution."
Student:  "Okay, will it get the sink too."
TA:  "?????"  "Let me walk over and see what you're talking about."

The pork chops were tidily lined up in the SINK ready to receive a thorough drenching of BLEACH solution.  This student's precious gray matter is among the top 10% of all gray matter available for inclusion at our fine university.

....sigh....

1 comment:

Birrell Family said...

Your student has actually taken away my appetite... unusual for me :)