Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bedtime


If you eat dinner around 5 o'clock, you need a little something right before bedtime.  Cooked nine-grain cereal is top on my list, with a close second of toast (sometimes plain for dunking, other times with chunky peanutbutter and freezer jam) and milk.  Ultimately, and under the best circumstances, these items are consumed while I am in the bathtub relaxing after the nightly news (sports omitted, weather included in winter but not summer). 

During summer months the cereal is swapped out for popcorn, dots, and a diet coke.  This combination is consumed from the recliner while watching the news, not after.

Brushing, flossing, swallowing the vitamins comes next, then prayer.  This sequence of events is followed by reading until I mentally note, "I am so tired, I will not remember reading this page," or until the book hits me in the face.  Lately I have found great enjoyment sucking on sugarless Ricola cough drops or chewing gum (sugarless peppermint) while reading.  I wonder how many folks chew gum as a nightly relaxer.....  Surprisingly, chewed gum makes a good bookmark if flattened in the foil wrapper.  Then you don't have to get out of bed to throw it away.

Sweet hubbie usually comes to bed after I have fallen asleep and I entertain him by speaking in some foreign outer-space language.  He humors me by responding and I feel stupid because I know I've spoken gibberish.

Feels good to have a routine.

1 comment:

Birrell Family said...

I am thinking you need better treats for your routine. Ricola? Honestly? I now know how you are so tiny... cough drops, sugar free gum and diet coke? I head for the chocolate but can see I must substitute my routine treats for a healthier ones. Love the hot cereal... every morning for me!
You are leaving your kids & grandkids a real gift Marci... a good look inside of who you are and how you see the world as you write. Love your blog and love you!!!