Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bob n Me



The bike route that I follow is undertaken at precisely the same hour each day.  Consequently, I often pass the same people.  A peppy walker with turned-out feet and a springy step comes regularly from the opposite direction.  I’ve been passing (I’ll call him Bob) each day and after so many days of greeting nods, I felt it appropriate to take it to the next level.  



I greeted Bob with a cheerful, “Good Morning!”  His response, silence.  With all the wires coming out of many people’s brains through their ears, I assumed that Bob probably didn’t hear.  The next day I tried again….silence.  The next day….silence. 

I examined Bob's head carefully on the next passing and noted a distinct absence of wires, so he must hear me.  I tried again and again….silence.  Then out of the blue, a hit!  Bob responded with a staccato, “Hi.”  Then nothing, day after day after day.  

Bob must know me.  Perhaps I am just frightening the dear fellow.  However, it’s difficult to resume the pretend-we-don’t-recognize-each-other approach after that one substantial hit.

1 comment:

Birrell Family said...

I would like to continually be updated on his bazaar behavior. I have missed your BYU stories and am glad you are back to blogging and adding much needed humor to my life :) I surely do love you!