Monday, November 8, 2010

Sitcoms

The days of a few great sitcoms have been replaced by few, great sitcoms. The Flying Nun made my childhood brain soar with airborne possibilities. Swooping, sailing, floating above humanity were feats that Sally Field mastered like she has now mastered the art of making all women near the age of fifty question whether their bones will stand up to the next stumble. The fact that all the ladies in the sitcom were call “Sister” was also, in my mind, a very cool touch. Wearing a habit and living life in a convent, however, was not worth flying or being called “Sister.”

It was not until my present job that I have the privilege of being call “Sister.” I love it and feel somehow fulfilled, kind of like being a nun, but without the commitment. I still can’t fly, but have some pretty amazing flying dreams, complete with swooping, sailing, and floating.

No comments: