Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What Happened to Hats?

There once was an era of hats. Men wore them to the movies, fishing, and when they went "out." Women wore fancy dress hats, adorned with netting and fruit salads. My mom kept her fair-skinned children shaded from the cancer-inducing rays of the sun, stylishly I might add.

The merits of wearing hats include: hiding bad hair, spicing up an otherwise boring outfit, covering baldness, or being able to transform your younger brother into a sister (see photo). We called "her" Suzy Belle.


In celebration of Election Day, I vote we bring hats back.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree, I love hats! Especially in the winter time. I definitely like my bad hair to be hid, and a hat does the trick.

Birrell Family said...

What a collection! Have you noticed that people either look good in a hat or they don't? I love a good hat... we should start with bringing back the good Sunday hats and wear them to and from church. Cool huh?

Unknown said...

This is Dennen, and I totally agree. I think we, as a society, have gotten a lot less classy. I've always thought that dressing up whenever you go out would be pretty neat, especially if you had a nice fedora.

Maggie said...

My problem is that I only have one hat that is really stylish. Plus, when do you take the hat off? Also, how do you do your hair assuming at some point the hat will need to be taken off. And finally how do you get enough hats to cover all your outfit choices?

MSmith said...

Hats are like aprons. You'd have to have one for every outfit. :) Let the shopping begin.