Thursday, August 15, 2013

For Teachers

From my back seat:

"So waddaya think of Mrs. H.?"

"She's an awesome teacher, but check out the white hairs on her chin.  They are so gross."

"My mom's making me take Advanced Band."

"That sucks, but you'll love Mr. H.  He's so cool and always says the coolest stuff."

"Oh, and Mrs. D. is such a wierdo.  She always wears a plaid shirt and her pants are too short."

"History is my best subject."

"Well that's stupid."

"How's Mr. P.'s history class.  I heard it's lame."

"My legs are killing me."  "Who farted?"  "I gotta get outa here."  "Can I roll down a window?"

"I'm taking the hardest Pre-Calculus class, but I heard nobody passes the AP test cause that teacher is an idiot."

"And what about Miss C.?  Have you seen that she hardly has any hair on the top of her head and it's so stringy."

"Mr. J. didn't like me.  That's why I got a bad grade."

"Lunch is the hardest part.  Your friends now won't be your friends for long."

"Yea, stick with the wardies."

"That chemistry teacher talks weird.  Why can he talk American?"

"What if your locker doesn't open?"

"I'm excited."

"Get real.  I hate school."

Tribute to Teachers - most are:

  • excited for another new year to begin
  • spending countless hours preparing materials and attending workshops over the summer to make a better learning experience for their students
  • worrying
  • overplanning
  • stressing over their facial hair, new shoes, plaid shirts, pant length, hair style
  • hoping to touch the life of each and every student
  • brought to reality after the first three weeks that it probably won't be every student
  • hoping that their students like them
  • genuinely too busy to "not like" any particular students
So, the next time you encounter a teacher say, "So you are a teacher, what do you like about your job?"

After their reply say, "That's great!"

Their answers may surprise you.

No comments: