Sunday, December 26, 2010

Birthday



I made my mother miserable for Christmas.  That's her on Christmas in the top right corner and to the left, enlarged so you can better see the facial expression.

After waiting forever at the hospital with the delivery of my older sister, my wisened father refused to take my mother to the hospital until the very last moment when I entered the scene. 

Is there a more "down day" than the day after Christmas???  Exhaustion, clutter, nausea from sweets, etc. 

Credit must be given to my mother, however, because she invented my half birthday in June.  In December I was told "Happy Birthday" and got a candle in my pancake.  In June, I got the whole works.  This worked well during childhood when I had big birthday bashes scheduled by my mother.  Then there were the "in limbo years" where December brought, "I'll catch you in June" and June brought, "Didn't we do this in December?"

Now, I demand my due, by declaring ,"Did you know it's my birthday?" to everyone I encounter.  Random people sing to me, the loudspeaker at Macy's declares, "Happy Birthday to Marci," and all clerks are alerted by my enthusiastic sister.  This year, I had to teach at my church on the big day and I announced, "Just sing to me and we can all go home."  They didn't buy it.

Gift wrapping must be done in birthday paper, cards and presents are separate for Christmas and the birthday.  I'm lucky because all the relations are in town for the big day. 

This year a group of girlfriends took me out to lunch and we stayed for 4 hours.  The waiter stopped bringing us water so we had to leave.

My dear friend from up the street surprised me with a birthday box containing a shopping card that was used before the ink dried.

Each of my children and my sweet husband fussed properly over me.  Thanks to all.  I loved my day!

1 comment:

Birrell Family said...

LOVE the photo... i believe it is frameable. Yes, you may have most definitely made your mom miserable, but I know you have brought her years and years of wonderful memories since then. Lunch was extra wonderful and the best gift we can all give each other.
You are wonderful Marci!