Tuesday, December 7, 2010

HonK's

I finished work early today and dashed off to complete two stops: Costco and Honk’s. A grin-from-ear-to-ear student had surprised her labmates with new aprons for Christmas. Upon questioning the giver about the whereabouts of the awesomeness-beyond-belief purchase, I was told, “Honk’s, for a dollar.”

Against all good judgement, with the observation of piled-high shopping carts spewing forth from the exit doors, I succeeded in my quest into Costco for a single-item purchase, a Misto.

Honk’s, on the other hand, did not deliver on the apron crusade – sold out. Honk’s is a dollar store and being so close to Christmas, I encountered those shopping and obviously weighing the implications of their purchases for gift giving.

Smack! Reality hit me hard as the glaring contrast between the "haves" and the "have-nots" stood clearly in my mind. I left Honk’s empty-handed, but with a clearer vision of the need to spread the dollars around to those who genuinely need it at this time of year.

1 comment:

Birrell Family said...

I agree about the spreading the joy to others. Good thought!