Monday, December 6, 2010

Holiday Lights


If I could only choose one decoration, it would be outside lighting. The power grid seems to dim significantly when I throw the switch to illuminate my outside landscape. Perhaps it is because darkness descends upon us at 4 p.m. or that outside lights seem to warm our overcast, gray surroundings during the cold winter months.

Going to the window to see if LauraLee has turned on her lights is a nightly routine. Hers are clear white lights, draped from fence post to fence post with a green wreath between each. There is no order or planning to my technique of putting up the lights. They are thrown on bushes strong enough to hold their weight. My biggest dilemma is not overloading a circuit and blowing a fuse. I questioned my dear hubby this year as to whether one outlet could handle 2,000 lights. It could not. Some days I am tempted to turn the lights on at 2 p.m. just to make sure that they are on at the earliest possible dark moment.

Removing them from the ice-encrusted bushes is my husband's duty and he hates it. Thanks, dear, for humoring me for 30 years. ILY

2 comments:

Katie said...

Our outdoor lights are pluged into an outlet with a solar sensor so as soon as it even threatens to get dark they turn out automatically.

I love coming home to a lit up house even though no one is home yet!

Your lights always look AMAZING!

MSmith said...

Looks like I shall plan a trip to Home Depot. Must have the timer.